Hands on time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 6 sandwiches
Tip: Spice up your tomato sauce with a few healthy splashes of Sriracha or any preferred hot sauce.
- 6 1 1/4 thick pork loin chops (about 1 kg), pounded to 1 cm thickness
- 2 eggs, whisked with a splash of water and a pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan
- 6 Ciabatta buns, halved
- Toppings: Caramelized onions (about 1 large sweet onion)
- Fire roasted red peppers, drained and sliced (about 1 cup)
- Baby arugula (about 2 cups)
Method of preparation
In large bowl, whisk egg (with a splash of water and a pinch of salt). In another bowl, whisk together flour, salt and pepper. Pour breadcrumbs into third bowl.
Bread pork cutlets by first dipping into flour, then into egg mixture, then into breadcrumbs, pressing to coat.
In heavy bottom skillet, heat 1 inch of canola oil to 325F (176C). In batches, fry pork cutlets, flipping occasionally until golden brown. Move to paper towel-lined pan to drain.
Preheat oven to 350F. Arrange fried cutlets onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Divide tomato sauce evenly onto cutlets, repeat with mozzarella and parmesan. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
To serve: place warm cutlets onto bottom buns, top with caramelized onions, roasted red peppers and baby arugula. Sandwich with top buns and serve immediately.
Party tip: To make a slider version of this recipe, substitute pork tenderloin, cutting into 1 cm medallions and omit the pounding. Assemble on slider buns.