On February 24, the 104th anniversary of Estonian Independence Day, Vladimir Putin ordered a massive, unprovoked invasion on free, independent and democratic Ukraine. We are all witnessing the brutal horrors that the Russian army is inflicting upon an incredibly courageous Ukrainian population, led by their valiant leader Volodymyr Zelensky.
The Estonian Central Council (EKN) condemns the actions of Vladimir Putin in the strongest terms and calls for an immediate ceasefire and withdrawal of troops from all Ukrainian territory, including Crimea and the Donbass, as well as from Belarus.
EKN is supporting the Ukrainian Canadian Congress (UCC) and the Ukrainian people by:
– Pledging a donation of $5000 to Ukrainian Humanitarian Appeal
– Speaking at and participating in rallies in support of Ukraine around the country
– Supporting the Ukrainian Canadian Congress (UCC) with its fundraising initiative
– Reaching out to the Ukrainian Canadian Congress to sponsor Ukrainian refugees once the Canadian government announces this program
– Working together with the Central and Eastern European Council (CEEC) of which EKN and UCC are both members
– Sharing out template letters to Estonian Canadians encouraging them to write to their parliamentarians on specific topics relating to the crisis
– Participating in a campaign to request NATO and European Union support as a member of the Estonian – – – World Congress (Ülemaailmne Eesti Kesknõukogu), of which EKN is a member
– Initiating a motion for a sizeable donation for humanitarian relief from the Estonian World Congress
– Keeping the Estonian Canadian community informed through EKN Twitter #@EccEkn and Facebook (Estonian Central Council in Canada) accounts
EKN has called upon the Canadian government to:
– Stand unified with its partners in NATO and the European Union in solidarity with Ukraine #StandWithUkraine
– Increase military and economic assistance to Ukraine
– Shut down the Nord Stream 2 pipeline
– Implement severe sanctions against Russia’s economy
– Freeze and seize the assets of all Russian oligarchs with assets in Canada
– Expel all Russian diplomats from Canada
– Remove Kremlin’s propaganda channel Russia Today (RT) off its airwaves
– Close Canadian airspace to Russian flights, commercial and private
– Supply Ukraine with lethal weapons
– Join President Zelensky in asking the International Criminal Court in The Hague to charge Vladimir Putin and his cronies with war crimes
Vladimir Putin has spent the last decades plotting to weaken and divide the west. With this war, he is achieving the polar opposite. May this war be the beginning of the end for Vladimir Putin.