Mart Klepp with his .22 match rifle. Photo: Margus Jukkum (2021)
Friday, 16 July 2021 19:00
Estonian Life No. 28 2021 - Tauno Mölder
Mart Klepp, an internationally recognized Estonian-Canadian rifle shooter, has joined the Toronto Estonian Rifle and Pistol Club (TEPP).
Mart is an Olympic discipline smallbore (.22 calibre) and air rifle (.177 calibre) shooter. He specialized in the three position smallbore event (shooting kneeling, prone and standing) and the air rifle event( shooting only standing).
Some noteworthy accomplishments:
• XXIV Olympic Games, 1988 Seoul, Korea, 14'th air rifle, 36'th three position
• Pan American Games, 1991 Havana Cuba and 1987 Indianapolis USA: One Gold, Four Silver, One Bronze individual and team medals
• Commonwealth Games, 1990 Auckland, New Zealand: Three Gold and One Bronze individual and team medals medals
• World Cups, 1988 Mexico City, one bronze medal and 1988 Munich, Germany, one bronze medal
• World Cup Finals, 1988 Munich, Germany 8'th
• Former world and Commonwealth Games record holder
• Multiple time Canadian Champion in three position and air rifle
After a prolonged hiatus, Klepp has returned to competitive shooting taking part in Provincial and National Championships.
"I first visited the Seedrioru range with Evald Gering in the 1980's and I am glad to be a member so many years later. It is a wonderful facility. I am happy to see that the range and TEPP are active as target shooting is a fun, all inclusive sport enjoyed around the world."
Klepp is the first internationally recognized shooting competitor to be a member of TEPP since Evald Gering, who represented Canada at the 1960 Rome Olympics.
TEPP has access to two shooting ranges: a 50 m outdoor range at Seedrioru and a 20 yard indoor range at the Toronto Revolver Club (TRC)
At Seedrioru, TEPP members teach the summer campers to learn, practice and compete in the shooting sports. In addition to supervising the campers, the club provides beginners with personalized training in the safe handling of all types of firearms and offers individual coaching in the Olympic disciplines. TEPP also organizes the federally mandated safety courses and examinations that are required to obtain a firearms license (Possession and Acquisitions Licence PAL and RPAL).